One of my favorites desserts is anything lemon, seriously just love that combo of sweet and tart!! Yum!! Remember when I made that raspberry lemon bar combo? Or how about that awesome limoncello recipe? (christmas is coming up- nudge nudge) Yep point proved- all things lemon are glorious in my book. But with that said my dear friend Brookie is in the hospital today having a new little bundle of joy come into their family. We are so excited for her and her hubby and to show some love when we visit I didn’t want to just bring flowers, why not some flower cupcakes? This pregnancy has had her craving any and all things lemon, so brookie this one is for you!! Plus it’s made with zest!! xo
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsps grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 3 tbsps butter (softened)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- grated lemon zest for topping
Makes 12- 15 cupcakes,
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and line your muffin tins with liners
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Add the egg and egg yolk and lemon juice and mix well. Add the 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix. Add 1/2 of the greek yogurt and mix again. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, stirring until combined. Add the final 1/2 cup of the greek yogurt and after mixing, add the final 1/3 of the flour. Mix just until combined. Stir in the 2 teaspoons lemon zest. The batter will have a thick consistency.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into each prepared muffin cup filling between 1/2 and 2/3 full. Bake the cupcakes for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting, in a medium bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice together until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes with an electric mixer (stand mixer or handheld). Mix in the vanilla and add 1-2 teaspoons of milk to adjust the consistency, if necessary. It should be creamy and spreadable. Stir in the 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
Thats’s a lot of zest- but what can we say, we are zesty!! (don’t worry you don’t need this much- we had a few recipes we were zestin’)
Love those sunflower tins!!
See that serious moistness!! YUM!