If you are a “SLO-cal” first off you know what that even means, but you also know all about our amazinggg weekly farmers market. If you are not from the area- let me explain- our little gem of a town, San Luis Obispo, aka SLO is has an amazing- like I’m talking famoussss farmer’s market that is legit. Rain or shine you can count on fresh local produce, street performers, local artisan goods as well as amazing Santa Maria style BBQ. Definitely a must if you are EVER in the area, OR just come in the area for it 🙂
What are the advantages of shopping at the Farmer’s market rather than a regular grocery store or even Whole Foods? Not only is it a fun opportunity to get out with friends or family and SO much more than shopping for food, but it’s the easiest way to eat local! Plus you can ask the farmers questions and really get to know them on a weekly basis.
Whether it’s your first farmer’s market or your 20th- there is one thing for sure, it can be overwhelming! From the aromas the in the air to the hustle and bustle of peeps and colorful produce at the stand, you might walk away not really having purchased much because it was all too much! Here are some tips to make your Farmer’s Market stroll enjoyable and efficient.
Some quick Farmer’s tips for you…
- Want to avoid crowds? Go early and this also guarantees you will get the best pic on produce!
- Want to save some $?! Go at the end and Farmers may make special deals on produce they don’t want to load back up!
- Pack bags or a cart with wheels to make life easier
- Carry small cash/change for easy transactions
- Buy in bulk for best deals and freeze (yes thats okay, the produce was picked when fresh and now you will have seasonal veggies that you won’t get later)
Wondering what you should actually buy at Farmer’s Market? I say go seasonal! Yes they will make this easy for you because the main items out will be what the farmer’s are currently growing, but to make it even easier here is a list of Fall Seasonal Produce. Some of these are year round but their best in the fall…
Stay fresh friends!!